Friday, January 13, 2012

Week one!


Hey everyone! I might not be able to post on here as often as I anticipated, but I may start typing when I feel lead, and post them all at once!

I’ve only been here for 4 or 5 days, but it seems much longer in a sense that I feel as if everyone here is already my best friend.  Joy (my boss) and her husband (Vidal) are the only people who speak English, and I’m usually with them for only a few hours a day.  That means all Spanish, all the time.  I was worried about it at first, but I’m definitely used to it.  I’ve realized that it’s okay to sit in silence sometimes.  Most of the women I’m with all day are helpful with ‘translating’ for the little girls (aka saying it slower and louder).  Sometimes I understand, and other times I smile, say no, or give them a little ‘mmmmm’ noise.  Either way, it’s nothing to be afraid of.

I currently live with three young girls.  They are amazing. One is 12, one is 9, and one is 6. I won’t use names until I know it’s okay to put them on the internet.  I am really starting to feel like their mom.  I get them up in the morning, make sure they brush their teeth, read them stories, take naps with them and just hangout with them. They are precious.  Every night I tell them that they are important, kind and intelligent.  (yes, just like in the movie, ‘The Help.’ And just like the lady in the movie, I totally believe it all to be true of theses girls.)

I also spend a lot of time with Carolina. Carolina is 26 and is the daughter of Delia who works here at the school/house.  She is absolutely wonderful, caring and has a great sense of humor.  The second night I was here, Delia grabbed her motorcycle (sort of like a moped) and said ‘Cati’ and gave me a ‘follow me’ gesture.  When she pushed it out into the street she again gave me another hand gesture saying, ‘get on.’  I was so excited.  This was my first time on a moped/motorcycle thing.  I knew I was safe when I saw that many other people had their newborn babies on the back of theirs…. Since then, Carolina has taken me on her moped many times.

Tonight we had no power in the house, but thankfully my family had given me 5 flashlights for Christmas!  It was a sweet time for us in the house.  We sat in the room downstairs while Delia cooked fried Salami and yuka (and homemade hot chocolate for dessert!).  Candles were lit and we laughed and enjoyed a simple meal together.  Afterwards, Delia asked the girls to go and get their Bibles.  Just then, she received a phone call, so I grabbed my bilingual Bible and read the girls Psalm 66 in the best Spanish accent I could muster up.  When I finished, Delia joined us and read Psalm 67.  From what I could understand, she was telling the girls that we are all on one team with God.  She told them to always praise God for small things, like the fresh breeze that came through the house in that moment, and for the big things, like a meal on the table each night.

This week I have many tasks to complete, including memorizing my favorite verse in Spanish… Matthew 6:33/Mateo 6:33, learning how to cook beans, learning the names of all of the neighbors, taking the girls to the park for ice cream, getting up at 5am and walk with the neighborhood ladies, and finding the best: empenada, aqua de cocoa, batida, and pica pollo in our barrio (neighborhood) and a few other random tasks. Yes, all in one week.

I have a handful of stories I would love to share, but they will have to wait until next time.  For now, it’s time for bed in this noisy barrio.

Buenas Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment